Fixed Goodreads Plugins

The Goodreads plugins I’ve been using on my blog have been broken for the past few months. When I installed WordPress fresh in a FreeBSD jail I got everything working on WordPress except the Goodreads plugins so I left it for another day. I was seeing a series of error messages in the nginx error logs and I wasn’t sure if the issue was related HTTPS and SSL or another type of issue. Well, today I had a bit of time to dig into the issue and I found that there were in fact four (4) separate issues that needed to be solved (all very sneaky). The first issue related to the cacert.pem file in the curl configuration; I was on to this before but I hadn’t experimented enough to solve it. The second issue was a missing module php73-simplexml which I needed to install (duh!). After that I had an http dom module in a plugin that was throwing regular expression errors and I had to scan the file and escape a series of dashes in the regexp pattern. I also had to correctly define the bookshelf I used in my Goodreads configuration (it had a dash!). Everything seems to be working fine now. The site is looking more profesh now and bonus, no more daily errors in the errorlog!

By Rich

Lover of science, technology, ice hockey and the outdoors. Houston is home.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.